Wednesday 4 January 2017

Something Unpopular

Hey guys! Its Lydia here. I think this writing piece really speaks for itself, its another homework/revision task for my creative writing Alevel. I really didn't know what to writing about, and this was the first thing that eventually came to my mind, I wrote about something I had experience it and felt those emotions.
Write me a comment it you enjoyed reading it, or tell me what you would do to improve it.


Measure the planes terminal velocity compared to the car. – I don’t remember. All that time, all that dedication, wasted for this final moment. I had forgotten how to answer the question. This was my last exam; finishing on the subject I hate the most, the useless one of all, and I was going to fail.  The fear begun to melt down my forehead; the anxiety of seeing that unforgiveable F on my sheet at results day. The trembling disappointment of not working hard enough and not exuding the required effort. A test of memory this was all this was, it didn’t even demand intelligence from a person. Yet why couldn’t I remember? Was it because I was stupid? Was I not listening enough?

What a twisted perversion from the government, to make students squirm with anxiety and paranoia that they haven’t tired hard enough, hadn’t studied enough. This testing of old men couldn’t and wouldn’t work for this generation, all people were different and each brain formed significantly. To make us suffer this sentence of depression was a cruel joke.

“Time is up. Put down your pens please,” said the invigilator suddenly.

Those dotted lines will forever remain blank from a spoiling mind.

As I walked along the corridor, I could hear my classmates say, “that was so easy” and “question two was a breeze”. Urgh I though, yes I know you understand science better than I do, and are probably more intelligent, so just shut up! I felt black and white amongst the blues and yellows of others. My dull being was no match for their superior brightness.    

When I reached home, I threw myself onto the sofa, and pressed the TV on. Friends instantly appeared, and my anger slowly subdued as I curled beneath a blanket. After a few minutes an advert came on, it was something I’d seen everyday. Text 639 to Water Aid to help those in need. I realized something as the advert faded, not only were those people deprived of food and water, but education. This girl looked my age, and may not even know how to read. They lived beneath basic existence, not striving for a goal or learning that last quote for an exam. They would forever be in a turbulent purgatory, never answering a quadratic equation or looking forward to their next reading book from the library. Those children would never be able to achieve a qualification, or dream of who they’d become in fifteen years, because they wouldn’t have moved an inch, they’d still be sitting within the cracked dry earth.

My mind went blank for the first time today; that could have so easily been my life. Perhaps I should be more grateful that my parents paid for my education, be thankful that I wake up every day knowing I will learn something new. Be honoured as someone took the time to plan a student’s discovery in that one hour. Yes education can and always will be a stress and struggle, but I should appreciate the education I am granted with now and the next few years, as it will tar the road that my life will sprint down.


No comments:

Post a Comment