Sunday 15 January 2017

Social Anxiety - An Unstable Mind

Hey everyone, its Shani!
Today I thought I would post my poem for my creative writing class. The task was to write a piece on an opinion, belief, experience, or feelings about something indirectly. Therefore if the poem doesn't make sense or isn't explicit the title of this post (and of the actual poem) should shed some light. Though the point of the task was to get across the subject to the reader, without directly saying it. So, hopefully I have achieved that! I hope you all enjoy c:

Social Anxiety - An Unstable Mind

It starts with a single incident, 
A childhood trauma enmeshed in your skin
That with tender years, blooms into a dark
Cloud of misery. Remember when life was simple?
When gentle smiles were not purged with disdain,
And society's hands did not ravish what I was
Unwilling to give. It seems such a simple time. 

Vultures swam the mind sinking their talons deep,
Into a tangled web of sounds and words,
Please don't look at me. 
Sweat festers in crevices along the body,
Fingers tremble from the threat of an unwanted presence. Yet, they will not leave, and your lips cannot move.
A slave to an unstable brain that quivers with timidness

Who are they? Why do they stare at me so?
The old age question that shrieks like an alarm,
For people mistake the constant shaking for coldness.
But it is not the winter air that has affected my mind,
Alas! It is a disease which purges me of 'normality'
A ravine that I cannot - and will not - escape.
Yet, because the illness is one of the mind,
People are reluctant to believe, they observe from afar but

They cannot see. Some diseases can be cured,
The violation in discussion is a terminal sentence,
A voice caressing my limbs - preventing me from going here,
There, anywhere. A string of 'people are looking at you.'
Everyone is staring, staring, staring. 
And I'm sorry ma'am! I didn't mean to make eye contact with you.
Life is a constant state of apologising, of humiliation,
Of shame that you will always be half bathed in shadows.

Others dwell in the sunlight - happy creatures they seem.
And did I once belong to them?
I think I must have belonged to them. 
For life before was a swirl of yellows, pinks, and oranges,
Whereas now the world is more subdued, accompanied with flashes of red. 
And I wish, oh I wish, I could 
Explain to you my dear what is is like,
To live in an unstable mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment