Friday 1 July 2016

First page of Beautifully Ugly

Hey guys, for my creative writing class we've been set to come up with a idea for a short story. Our recent homework is to write the first page. The title my mine is called Beautifully Ugly, however at this early stage I think its just going to be a filler title. The narrator is a 17 year old Aubrey Barker, she is more or less gazing at her crush Tessa Scott. Let me know what you think in the comments, but don't be too harsh, because this is a first draft.

Before the accident: Audrey

Looking at her was like dying over and over again. Tessa Scott, you couldn't help but stare when she entered a room. At this point I was full on staring at her, her radiant blond hair, piercing sapphire eyes placed on white ivory skin.
We had gone to school together for the last five years, but she had no idea who I was, I am nothing to her. She would walk by me if I were a ghost. I don't blame her, as I am what you call a misfit, a loser, someone who is deemed socially unacceptable, it's just how the world works.
Tessa was sitting towards the entrance of the classroom, she was gently stroking her pencil upon the paper, she was a brilliant artist, talented to the bone. Whereas I was never too impressed with my final  pieces, never satisfied completely. I see myself more as a writer. If someone was to take my soul, it might serenade them with poetic language.
I was so ingested in thought that I didn't realise Tessa was standing right in front of me.
"Audrey," She asked "Audrey," She said louder.
"Sorry hello" I said a bit startled.
"Hey, do you mind if I take a look at your book?" She politely asked.
"Sure" I stammered
How the hell did she know my name?
The last time I spoke to her was in year 7. She was still flicking through the book. Each page she looked at was with focus and hidden emotion. The book clapped shut in her pale hands.
"You're work is rather good." She smiled
I noticed something that I never did before. Perhaps it was because of the close distance,  her smile expressed happiness, but it never quite reached her eyes. I saw the cracks in between that smile, there was a hole in her heart, not a gapping hole, just a little tear.
Tessa nodded once and walked back to her table.
"Thanks," I whispered after her



No comments:

Post a Comment