Sunday 3 September 2017

When Life Gets In The Way


Hey its Lydia here! I haven't posted for a few weeks now, but here's my next book review. I ate this book up!

Author: Ines Vieira
Published: 1st August 2016
Publishers: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Romantic-comedy, Teenage love
Length: 314
Rating: 18+

Description from Amazon

A wise man once said that life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans. Cassandra Mackenzie had only one plan. Get into Berkeley, University of California. That was her one purpose and nothing was going to get in her way or sidetrack her from that one goal. Her life would finally begin once she moved from the quiet streets of Plymouth, Massachusetts to the sunny hills’ of San Francisco. That is if her family doesn’t fall apart before she can make her dreams come true. Isaac Silva never made any plans his entire life. His only objective was to have the nightmare he lived day in and day out, to finally come to an end. To Isaac, graduating wouldn’t mean college, it would mean freedom. But when these two meet, all bets are off. “When Life Gets in the Way” is a story about overcoming diversity and the grueling challenges that illness and violence can cause. But it is also a story of experiencing that one feeling that surrounds us all. Love It can either make you or break you.

Review

I have many words to say about When Life Gets In The Way. My first initial reaction when I first started reading on my iPad was, why is the font so big? And that it was longer than I expected it to be. However, I came to realise that something had happened when I was sent the PDF file, and actually the book is only just over three hundred pages long - the fundamental struggles of being a reader and reviewer.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the duel narratives of Isaac and Cassandra, where in each chapter the reader hears the perspective from each of their point of views. As both a reader and writer it was quite refreshing to hear a male voice in a YA romance book, something I haven't often come across until now. It brought a sense of masculinity to a genre that is mostly seen to be read by women, and it also allows readers to see inside the brain of a teenage boy, understanding all his deep thoughts and emotions. It was wonderful to read, as for many years men weren't known to be in touch with their emotions as much was women are, however the reader has such an intimate relationship with Isaac's thoughts that really their should be no emotional division between men and women.

The language used amongst the pages was very figurative, expressive and seemed to capture the characters emotions well. However, while it was lovely to read and imagine, there were parts were I thought the language was quite dull and literal. So there was a strange sensation of euphoria combined with an ache for something more descriptive. What was also captivated well was a sense of reality. In Vieira's book, her characters battle with the unfortunate circumstances of life, one being mental illness and domestic abuse, elements which hundreds of people daily are burdened with. Even though it can be distressing and heartbreaking for a reader to imagine, it brings a sense of human life and the realistic tragedy that people face in their lives. Although I enjoyed the language, some of the dialogue irritated me somewhat. The repetitive use of the word 'baby' when Isaac and Cassandra tried to sooth each other became slightly corny and cliche at times. However, it may be a British thing, as people in romantic relationships, definitely the ones I've been around, don't refer to each other like that. It is probably me just being picky, but every time I read the word, it reminded me of a pop song.

While I'm a reader for about forty per cent of the time, the other sixty is critically analysing the book: its style, language and foundation of plot. I was really impressed with the plot, the story started quite calmly, then as the reader was introduced to more and more characters, and each event starting to unfold, the tension rose really well. Along with the sexual tension between Isaac and Cassandra, meeting the climax of when they had sex. Moving on, love and the implication of love engulfs this story entirely. Obviously, Isaac and Cassandra are at the center, but I like how the author draws comparison to different relationships and marriages, especially the parents of the younger characters. What was quite touching and sentimental is that love changed the two main characters. Isaac, who thinks that to love and be loved is impossible, discovers that, despite all the odds he is able to love. Then Cassandra learns through love that the future cannot be controlled to suit ideas and ambitions, she sees that life and love are a rattling time bomb, patiently waiting to explode, no matter how hard you try, you can't keep it honed in.

I don't particularly have a favourite characters, but the one I most relate to is Cassandra. Like her, I'm always afraid of the future, and my brain is always filled and fueled by buts and what ifs. I too always want to keep the future safe and confined, but inevitably life is anything but smooth. So I really see myself in this characters, as I don't always put myself out in the world enough or take risks, but by the end of the book she finds herself within Isaac.

All the while when reading I couldn't help but be reminded of Nicholas Sparks books, so if you enjoy him as an author, then this book is definitely for you! I hope you enjoyed my review, go check out some of the other reviews on our blog by my co-writers Heather and Shani.

No comments:

Post a Comment