Saturday 10 September 2016

While I wait.


Hey guys! Its Lydia here! Sorry its been so long, I've been extremely busy with school and work. 
In my Creative Writing class we were given homework to a creative project, this was to write a poem,  screenplay, a piece of prose, basically anything you want, but to base it on a painting or photograph, so my project piece is below. I also made a playlist to do with it while you read, if you want to listen just search on Spotify Lydia Halsey, then clink of creative writing playlist. 
Hope you enjoy the story. 


I looked out upon the view; the floorboards slightly creaked under my feet as I moved towards the edge of the decking. The ocean was a lush blue this morning; it merged and was engulfed by the sky. I was just waiting and watching, as I did yesterday and what I will do tomorrow and the day after.
Clutching my small bumped stomach, I though of my husband, what was he doing? Was he surrounded by men running, scrambling for shelter, shutting themselves away from the piecing scream of a bomb. He could be sailing on a boat right now, returning home, returning to us, to me. He could be dead. No boat broke that stiff horizon line.
The air was thick and sweet from the waking heat, it surrounds me like a warm embrace while I continue to stare at the ocean.
The heavy wind lifted and tore at the grass, occasionally picking up tuffs and playing with them in the air, this happened over and over it became a dance. Through the wind children started to emerge, through the yellow grass and sunlight, they began to run towards me, their olive skin gleamed with sweat and black hair shinning against the sun. I heard their shoes against the stone of the high hill.
“You’re so slow, come on!” the girl shouted behind her.
“Stop running so fast, I can’t catch up with you!” the boy shouted back.
They both managed to reach the house, puffing and out of breath, they climbed the stairs playfully shoving each other’s shoulders and entered the house.
 I turned to see the children in the arms of a man; he was crouched towards the floor, his broad arms and shoulders wrapped around them drawing both children into his chest. He looked utterly at ease, his slender mouth pulled back to expose white teeth in a chuckling laugh. He too had the same hair and skin as the children; they made a stunning trio as he held them close. He finally looked at me, exposing his dark grey eyes. His eyes found my soul deep with in me; he seemed to notice my whole presence without moving his eyes from my face.  
 “Why don’t you come in from the heat, Andrea?” He asked me.
I lingered by the door before entering. His hand was stretched out, I could see the dark lines where his hand curved and creased. I lifted mine to take his, but as soon as I met his skin, the house and the children where gone.
The two of us were at the docks; he was dressed in a blue uniform, with a blazer with gold buttons and a black and white hat with gold embroidery.
“You don’t have to leave,” I breathed “There are plenty of other men who can fight.”
“That is true, but I cannot, I won’t sit and do nothing.”
The man from the boat behind us called, “Two minutes till departure.”
He took my shoulders in his hands and gently squeezed them, “I will be back, I won’t be dying out there. Keep an eye on the horizon” He promised, “I love you.”
He crushed me into him and I wrapped myself around him, inhaling deeply with the smell of coffee and honey. I forced my eyes closed, not wanting to see his tears, not wanting to say goodbye. When I opened them he was gone, and I left alone in the kitchen.
My body surged with convulsions of sobs and cry’s, for I knew that the future held so much bliss, but one simple telegram from a stranger would tear everything away.


1 comment:

  1. I love the way you've conjured the scene here - the idea of the air as 'thick and sweet' really awakens the senses. The overwhelming emotion of the narrator is definitely intensified by that. Was it inspired by the music in the playlist, or by a piece of art to start with?
    Well done and thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete