Monday 22 August 2016

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

Author: J.K. Rowling
Published: 26 June 1997
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Rating: 9/10

Hey guys! It's Lydia here.
 Sorry its been a while since I posted anything. I've been quite busy since I came back from Greece, but I have still manage to read many books. Since my last post I have read Dracula by Bram Stroker, which I'm going to be comparing Frankenstein to for my coursework for English, then I have also read Harry Potter and the Philosopher stone. Now, I know what you're all thinking, why should she be reading Harry Potter at her age? Or isn't that a bit old for you? Actually Harry Potter is a book that can be read and instantly loved by all ages. I have in fact read a few of the books some years ago, but came to the conclusion that J.K. Rowling's writing style wasn't to my taste. However many years later I have been intrigued to give the series another go, this is because I love the films and they always say the books is better than the film, and they are usually correct.

After finishing the book I had a very warm and happy feeling, as with each turning page (or swipe of the kindle in my case) you grow to love the characters and enwrap yourself in the story. At the moment I don't have a favourite character, however I do love Ron, he is absolutely hilarious! Am I the only person who feels that reading on a kindle is quicker than reading a real book, as I found I finished the books in a few days. Heather has a theory that the light from the Kindle makes you blink less, so thats why its a quicker process to read from a kindle, I have no idea if this is true or not.

I've decided that in my reviews, I won't give away any spoilers, as I realised before I was just letting you read the whole plot and concept of the story in the books I've reviewed. So now, I will sensor my reviews for any main plot holes to books/novels.

I do have a big regret that when I was eleven, the same age as Harry, Ron and Hermione, that I should have read the books, as I think I would have seen the characters as roles models. Although even now, being seventeen I still take a shinning to them.
 J.K.Rowling has created this beautiful world of magic and mystery that intrigues her readers into reading the rest of the series, The Philosophers Stone is like a appetiser and the next six books are the main meals.

I do have a theory about our protagonist, Harry Potter, the beloved character that even muggles like ourselves know about. Even though Harry is our main character, he would be nothing without his friends Ron and Hermione, come to think of it, he might have been dead in the first book or two if it weren't for them. This is the same with many other books, the protagonist is nothing special without his/her friends, it is the other characters that develop the protagonists awareness of his or herself.

Let me guys know what you thought of Harry Potter when you first read it, leave me some comments below.




No comments:

Post a Comment