Saturday 25 March 2017

Aversion

Hello people of the internet! It's Lydia here, I hope you are having a good evening. On this post I will be reviewing Aversion by Kenechi Udogu, the first book in the Mentalists series.

Title: Aversion
Author: Kenechi Udogu
Published: 2012
Page: 133
Rating: 4\5
Genre: Young Adult, Modern Day Fantasy, Romance.

Gemma Green is an Averter; she has the ability, like many others in our modern world, to prevent other incidents before they happen by influencing their minds to change their actions. Her life is simple and rather secluded from other people. She lives with her father, who teaches her all his personal knowledge about Averters. Russ is her first aversion, initially she thinks everything went well. Then, when he remembers her the next day, Gemma has to fix his mind. As the two teenagers grow close, Gemma discovers how she is unique in her abilities, but a unique Averter isn't a good thing in this world.

I have always loved Young Adult novels, and even though I'm coming to the end of my teenage years, even in adulthood I think I will love and enjoy reading this genre. As an inspiring author, I always think it's clever how writers set their short stories and novels. In Aversion, Udogu has set the story in modern day with elements of magic and supernaturalism, which as a reader was easier to imagine. Sometimes in pure Fantasy books if you read over one detail of setting it can confuse you in later parts of the story (I know this from experience). But in Aversion I was completely clear with the story and the narrator. All readers of this book will see themselves in Gemma, as the narrative shares her thoughts and feelings with the reader, it creates a confidant kind of relationship, which was hilarious at times, as Gemma would have some extremely blunt and sassy thoughts.

Udogu's originality I found remarkable and inspiring, she didn't copy off of some other Fantasy series' like The Mortal Instruments or Vampire Academy; this shows how the writer has good creative and imaginative skills, where they can create a whole other society of people. This really kept me on my toes and intrigued the entire time. I will be reading and reviewing the whole of The Mentalists series and I'm looking forward to reading the second book, Sentient.

There were a few aspects of the book that I didn't particularly like, as both a reader and writer I take notice in the key details in stories. In some parts of Aversion I thought that there could be more detailed description in the backstory about Gemma's parents, due to little detail, as a reader was I left a bit lost and confused at times. Some of the terminology that depicts why Gemma is different from other averts and the term for why her and Russ have a strange connection I found a little strange, and again it needed to be elaborated more. Though I feel that this will be explained in the second book. At times, the developing relationship between Russ and Gemma was a tad cliché, however because I've read a lot of books that have romantic relationships entwined into the plot, this is just my opinion. Yet I have always said that it doesn't matter too much if it has cliché elements to the writing, just as long as it's written well, and I was, overall, impressed with Udogu writing.

Except from those tiny nit bits about the story, Kenechi Udogu has left me wanting to find out more about the world of the Averters and how Gemma and Russ' relationship will progress - like whether they were fated to meet!

If you're interested in finding out more about The Mentalists series and Kenechi Udogu, you can purchase the book on Amazon and I'm going to put a link to Kenechi's Goodreads profile below.

I hope you enjoyed the review, and look out for my next review on the second book in the series Sentient.

http://www.goodreads.com/ trixycae

No comments:

Post a Comment